- Use structural barriers such as window screens and netting.
- Avoid wooded, brushy, grassy areas.
- Don't wear scented soaps, perfumes.
- Use caution eating outside and drinking; don't leave drinks and garbage cans uncovered.
- Don't wear bright colors, which attract bees.
- Wear long sleeves and long pants when possible.
- Tuck pant legs into socks or shoes.
- Wear a hat for extra protection.
- Get rid of containers with standing water that give mosquitoes a breeding ground.
- Use insect repellent if non chemical methods are ineffective and you spend time in tall grass and wooded areas.
- Treat camping gear, clothes, and shoes with permethrin, which repels and kills ticks, mosquitoes, and other insects. Clothing that is pre-treated with permethrin is also available commercially.
- Good luck this summer and be careful out there.
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Things you can do: